BETHANY, as will be seen by the list of the early settlers, was
among the earliest towns which invited the pioneers to its rich
lands. The most of the settlements were made before the War of 1812.
On June 8th of that year the town was formed, being taken from Batavia.
The land is rolling in the upper half and somewhat hilly as the
lower bounds are reached. It is a well watered section, Black Creek,
Tonawanda Creek, and White Creek being the principal streams.
In 1803 John TORREY, Orsamus KELLOGG (who had a child born that
year), Charles CULVER, John DEWEY, L.D. and Samuel PRINDLE, Nathaniel
PINNEY, Jedediah RIGGS, M. SCOTT, Horace SHEPARD, O. FLETCHER, David
HALL, Capt. George LATHROP, and Richard PEARSON either settled on
lands in the town or declared their intention to do so; and in 1804
many others came; the sound of the axe was daily heard in the forests,
and a musical and welcome sound it must have been in those days
to all those who had determined to deny themselves so many comforts
in order to make a home in the new Genesee country. Capt. LATHROP,
who located in the center of the town, is said to be the third person
who came. He was a captain in the War of 1812, and died on his farm,
aged 92 years. Solomon LATHROP, who came in 1804, lost his wife
about 1816. He went on a visit (soon after) to Cattaraugus County,
and was never heard from. Henry LATHROP located in 1804, and died
on his place, aged 85 years. Richard PEARSON, Sr., came from Lyme,
Conn., to Genesee County about 1803, bought 155 acres of land for
$426.25, and returned to Connecticut, coming again to the county
in 1806. He returned to Connecticut again in 1807, and finally came
to the county in 1812, in which year he bought 50 acres in the Craigie
tract for $200. He married and settled on his land in 1815, coming
with a neighbor with an ox-team and one horse, each family having
one child. He died on his farm in 1853, aged 71 years. His son lives
on the old homestead. Richard PECK, among the earliest settlers
(1806), was a lieutenant in Col. RUMSEY's regiment in the War of
1812; he was at Chestnut Ridge and Black Rock. The old commission
signed by Gov. TOMPKINS is in the possession of his son, who lives
in Stafford. Another son, Benjamin F., lives on the old homestead.
The LINCOLN family were very prominent in the early settlement.
Jedediah, who came in 1805, when last heard from was over 96 years
of age. He was living in Illinois with a son. Peter PUTNAM located
in the northwestern part of the town in 1805 or 1806.
Because of the valuable water privileges on the Little Tonawanda,
in the southwest part of the town, there was greater activity there
than elsewhere. This locality (now Linden) was first called Gad-Pouch,
because it is supposed "gadding women" were more numerous than elsewhere.
The name "Linden" was first suggested by a clerk in the store at
that place, and the first sign was put up over the mill, Judge Isaac
WILSON being the postmaster and a justice. John WILDER, a pioneer
of Attica, built many mills, among which was one, in 1810, for Judge
WILSON at this place. This mill was enlarged in 1833 by Daniel CALKINS.
It was the first grist-mill that served the inhabitants of the northern
part of Wyoming County, and a great portion of the towns of Darien,
Alexander, and Bethany. About the year 1809 Calvin BARROWS came
in, and made the pioneers glad by fitting up a carding and woolen
mill. He came from Massachusetts, and live in the town 60 years.
He built a log house in the same year (which was burned), and lived
in it six years. He rebuilt about 1817 where Sexturs, a son, now
lives. Mr. BARROWS was a Master Mason and a member of Olive Branch
Lodge, which met at HUGGINS's tavern after the troubles in Batavia.
One COLES built a saw-mill in Linden about 1808. There was a fall
of 24 feet to the dam, and owing to insecure foundation this mill
tumbled over that distance and hurt some of the operatives. Another
saw mill was built, which was burned. Several fires have occurred
in the place from time to time, among which have been the stone
distillery (started by Nathaniel EASTMAN), which had also been used
as a cooper shop by COLLINS; the old store built by WILSON &
DEWEY; the railroad depot in 1860; the flour-mill in 1879; and the
W.H. BARROWS house. After the stone distillery was destroyed a wooden
one was built in 1825, and a stone one in 1838. Some of the owners
of the old (WILSON) mill site have been George PERRY (an old settler),
COLLINS, REMER & TUTTLE, REMER & BARROWS, and W.H. BARROWS.
The latter also started a cabinet shop in 1837, continuing it for
15 years, when he kept a store for four years, and then moved to
Among the store-keepers were Judge WILSON, Horace TRIPMAN, WEBSTER
(who also had an ashery), and COLLINS. One GARDNER also had a store
and ashery in 1820. The first tavern there was kept by Joseph CHAMBERLAIN,
in a house built by Mr. LUSK. E. and Jeduthan FAUNCE in 1835 kept
a tavern in the house owned by Myron KEMP.
The first settlers who arrived at Linden were Calvin BARROWS, Samuel
JOLLS, Alexander GRIMES, Jacob GRIMES, Andrew GRIMES, Rufus MUNGER,
Jesse FAY, Matthew ALGER, Sanford BARROWS, Israel EVEREST, Nathan
BLOOD, and a few others. A Mr. TOWNER was an early miller. At the
time of the advent of the railroad, about 1850 or 1852, business
was not very brisk in the place, there being only a grist-mill,
cider and shingle-mill, and a cooper shop. In 1869 one BUNCE had
a tannery here, DURGY & HUGGINS and FAUNCE & WHALEY had
stores, W.E. KEMP a barrel factory, S. METCALF a saw-mill, and QUALE
Brothers a flour and saw-mill. It is supposed Aaron BAILEY, in 1828,
taught the first school in Linden, but Matilda WEDGE, in 1808, is
credited with being the first teacher in the town.
CANADA, a small hamlet on Black Creek, in the eastern part of the
town, claims to have had a mill erected in 1808, by one BENNETT,
one of a family who came in 1805, and for some time the place was
called "Bennett's Mills." There was a tavern here in early times.
No business of importance is transacted at the locality at present.
Sylvester LINCOLN, in 1805, had a tavern, said to be the first in
town; the same one, it is presumed, which, in 1821, was kept by
C.J. LINCOLN, who was also postmaster and colonel of militia, and
where the Masonic meetings of the Olive Branch Lodge were frequently
held after their removal from Batavia. B.R. BROWN also had a tavern
about 1825, and one L. BROWN, in l828, kept an inn on the new State
road. Nathaniel HUGGINS also kept a tavern, built in 1828, and kept
by him until his death in 1852, where the Masons met. This is now
the residence of Thomas J. HARDING. Mr. HUGGINS was a postmaster
in 1832. W.H. RUMSEY had a tavern in 1841. Nelson BLOOD had one
in 1859, and very early Buell BROWN kept an inn. R.A. TAYLOR, in
1864, kept the hotel at East Bethany, and Davis GRAY kept the same
place in 1869. Elisha HURLBURT opened a store in 1808, the same
year Sylvester LINCOLN opened his tavern, each in a log house.
The postoffice at Bethany was established in 1825 by Orange ALLEN.
Phineas SMITH was postmaster in 1826; E.C. DIBBLE in 1829; C.J.
LINCOLN in 1831; and Harvey PRINDLE later. The firm of CHIPMAN &
LUSK was in business in 1830, OWEN & PRINDLE in 1844, and CARLOS
A. HUGGINS in 1869.
A prominent early settler was Richard POWERS, a Mason, who died
in 1849, aged 80 years. His son Blanchard was also an active and
prominent man, especially in Masonic matters. The old lodge often
met at his house.
The Genesee Manual Labor Seminary was chartered in 1832, with a
capital of $20,000. Subscriptions to the amount of $5,516 enabled
the organizers to erect the building. R. WHITING was the principal
from 1834 to 1841, and Joseph HURTY until 1844.
The Genesee County alms-house is located in the south part of the
town, on roads 40 and 41. It has room for 100 inmates, and is a
well managed institution. The superintendents are C. CROSMAN, of
Alexander; Dwight DIMOCK, of Pembroke; and H.O. BOSTWICK, of Batavia.
Benjamin W. HARTWELL, of Pavilion, is the keeper, and Dr. Ganson
W. CROFF the resident physician. Connected with the house is a farm
of 200 acres in a fine state of cultivation, and is valued at $11,500.
An inventory taken in 1889 showed a total value of $18,000. In 1890
there were 73 inmates, the estimated cost of keeping which was 15
cents per day, exclusive of the products of the farm. This includes
salaries, excepting that of superintendent. Wheat, corn, oats, and
pork are raised on the place. The value of the products raised in
1889 was $2,587. In 1832 James THAYER, aged 84 years, and Anny DANFORTH,
aged 86, were married here.
LINDEN, the first village of importance, is located on the N.Y.,
L.E. & W. Railroad, has 35 houses, one school, three stores,
one wagon shop, one blacksmith shop, a grist-mill (built by George
PERRY in 1881), with three runs of stones, one saw-mill, with a
capacity of 3,000 feet of lumber per day, one cooper shop, built
by Daniel MERRITT, with a capacity of 10,000 barrels, and one cider-mill,
with a capacity of 4,000 barrels annually. The village is without
EAST BETHANY, the next village of importance, is located on the
D., L. & W. Railroad, in the northeastern part of the town.
There are 24 houses with about 108 inhabitants. It is a post village,
has a Presbyterian Church, a school, one hotel, two stores, a harness
shop, a blacksmith shop, and a cider-mill, the latter having a capacity
of 400 barrels per year. There is now building (May, 1890) a fine
school-house, which will cost about $1,500.
BETHANY CENTER, also a post village, is south of the center of the
town, and has a Presbyterian and Baptist church, two stores, a blacksmith
shop, a town hall, a school, two dressmakers, about 25 houses, and
LITTLE CANADA (formerly Bennett's), in the northeastern part of
the town, has a Free Methodist Church, a school, a grist-mill, with
a capacity of 150 bushels of grain per day, a saw-mill, with a capacity
of 2,000 feet of lumber per day, and a wagon shop.
WEST BETHANY (p.o) is a hamlet in the west part of the town. It
has a grist mill, located on road 29, built by Nathaniel BROWN in
1811, and now owned by Joseph CRAWFORD, having a capacity of 50
bushels of wheat and 200 bushels of feed per day. The village has
also a grocery store, a Freewill Baptist Church, a blacksmith shop,
and six houses.
Bethany was the only town in Genesee County but what received a
donation from the Holland Land Co. of 100 acres of land for religious
purposes. The earliest record we have of religious services is that
of the Freewill Baptists, the Rev. Nathaniel BROWN being instrumental
in organizing a church in 1809. In 1839 they put up a wooden edifice.
They now have 82 members in the society, which is presided over
by Hiram G. SCHOONOVER. Their property is valued at $1,000.
The Methodists held camp-meetings at "Bennett's" or Little Canada,
as early as 1810, and Benjamin BARLOW, a local preacher, held services
in the town in 1811, as did also Father WALLER and Brother HOWE,
who came from Wyoming County. They also built the church now owned
by the Free Methodists. This society was organized by Jonathan K.
BARLOW, the pioneer physician, and held its meetings in the same
building with the Presbyterians, which was afterwards used as an
academy. A society was organized in 1820, and one January 7, 1832,
but soon became extinct. A Bethany Union Church Society was organized
At Little Canada a Free Methodist Society was organized and the
church, formerly built by the regular Methodists, was purchased,
but we cannot learn when. The church is small in membership, there
being now only about 17 persons, with C.W. BACON, pastor.
The first regular Baptist Church, located at Bethany Center, was
organized May 7, 1820, with 26 members, and John BLAIN was its pastor.
In 1826 a building was erected, and the same is still occupied by
the society. They now have 58 members, and Rev. T.M. SCARFF is the
pastor. Their property is valued at $2,000. The Sunday-school, organized
in 1829, now has about 75 members.
October 20, 1829, a Presbyterian Church was organized at Bethany
Center by Messrs. WHITING, WATTS, BLISS, and a few others. Rev.
W. WHITING was the first pastor. They built a structure, of wood,
in 1839. At present they have 50 members, and about 60 scholars
in the Sunday-school.
On June 17, 1817, a Congregational church was organized at East
Bethany by John BLISS, a missionary from Connecticut, with 11 members.
The first pastor was Rev. Reuben HARD, who came in 1823. The society
built a brick edifice in 1824, costing about $3,000. The same year
they adopted the Presbyterian form of government. In 1825 there
were 23 members; in 1834, 58; in 1843, 65; and in 1846, 35. The
ministers have been Revs. WILCOX, KNIFFEN, MILES, SMALLER, CLARK,
BARRIS, and others. The membership is now only 16, and the Sunday
school has about 70 scholars. The Rev. W.M. MODESTTI is pastor.
A protestant Episcopal church was built about 1826 called Zion church.
At the laying of the corner-stone, July 4th, Judge MITCHELL delivered
the oration, and Masonic ceremonies aided in making the occasion
interesting. In 1845 Bishop DELANCEY visited the church, at which
time Rev. M. OAKS was the minister. A Rev. Mr. ATWATER was a minister
at one time, but we fail to learn but little about the society.
The following are names of some of the early settlers of Bethany,
with the date of settlement:
In 1803: Charles CULVER, John DEWEY, O. FLETCHER, David HALL, Orsamus
KELLOGG, Solomon KINGSLEY, Capt. G. LATHROP, L.D. and Samuel PRINDLE,
Richard PEARSON, Sr., Nathaniel PINNEY, Jedediah RIGGS, M. SCOTT,
Horace SHEPARD, and John TORREY.
In 1804: Peter ADLEY, John BOYNTON, William and W.B. COGGESHALL,
James and Jerry COWDREY, Lewis DISBROW, Peleg DOUGLASS, N. EASTMAN,
Elisha GIDDINGS, John GRIMES, C. GLASS, Joseph HAWKS, Thomas HAEDING,
John HALSTEAD, Alanson JONES, Henry and Solomon LATHROP, Sylvester
LINCOLN, Sr., John ROBERTS, John and Phineas SMITH, Israel SHEARER,
David TYRRILL, Joel S. WILKINSON, and Isaac R. and William WILLIAMS.
In 1805: David ANDERSON, Patrick ALVIN, Israel and Abel BUELL, Erastus,
James, and Jeremiah BENNETT, Joseph BARTLETT, Eli BRISTOL, Jonathan
and Jason BIXBY, John CHAMBERS, Ezekiel FAY, John GREENOUGH, John
HUNTINGTON, Thomas HALSTEAD, Jedediah LINCOLN, Asher LAMBERTON,
Gershom ORVIS, Peter PUTNAM, Jr., Eli PERRY, A. ROBBINS, Alfred
ROSE, Richard STILES, Josiah SOUTHARD, Elisha WALLACE, Peter WILKINSON,
Isaac WILSON, and Philo WHITCOMB.
In 1806: Joseph ADGATE, Elisha ANDREWS, Lewis BARNEY, D.W. BANNISTER,
Peter and Chester DAVIDSON, Eben EGGLESTON, Moses GOODRICH, Liberty
JUDD, Henry RUMSEY, Thomas STARKWEATHER, David STEWART, Joseph SHEDD,
and Eben WILSON.
In 1807: Heman and Buell BROWN, and Sylvester LINCOLN, Jr.
In 1808: __ COLE, Elisha HURLBURT, Moses PAGE, and Eliza PECK.
In 1809: Elder Nathaniel BROWN, Calvin BARROWS, and Eleazer FAUNCE.
In 1810: Patience KINGSLEY, O. WALKER, and W. WAITE, Sr.
In 1811: Israel COOK, Alexander GRIMES, Daniel MARSH, Jesse RUMSEY,
Charles SMEAD, and Judge WILSON.
In 1812: Israel FAY and Robert LOUNSBURY.
In 1813: Abner ASHLEY, S. BOWERS, Josiah CHURCHILL, Capt. Lodowick
CHAMPLIN, W.R. DIXON, John EASTLAND, I. EVEREST, John METCALF, William
ODIORNE, Harvey PRINDLE, John PAGE, and Nathan RUMSEY.
In 1814: Thomas ADGATE, Charles DIXON, T. FAY, Alanson D. LORD,
Rufus MUNGER, and W.F. NORTON.
In 1815: James BENNETT, Jr., Charles BRISBEE, Richard B. FRENCH,
John GREEN, John LINCOLN, A. PARSONS, J. SAUNDERS, James STEWART,
and Benjamin SMITH.
In 1816: G. COTTRELL, J. ROLFE, and Asabel and James SHEPARD.
In 1817: B. BARLOW and Daniel LYDE.
In 1818: David MERRITT and Jared S. LORD.
In 1819: S. DEBOW and ____ GARDNER.
In 1824: James BAKER.
In 1825: Orange ALLEN and R.R. BROWN.
In 1828: Aaron BAILEY.
In 1829: E.C. DIBBLE.
In 1832: Nathaniel HUGGINS.
The following came prior to 1825: Richard POWERS, Ira WAITE, Matilda
WEDGE, Samuel JOLLES, and C.J. LINCOLN
Our readers will find some interesting facts connected with the
following sketches of the present prominent living residents and
their ancestors, the early pioneers.
The late Martin ARMBREWSTER was born November 24, 1819, in BADEN-BADEN,
Germany. About 1846 or '47 he married Frances SNNEEFF, of the same
place, and in l854 they came to the United States, locating first
in Buffalo, then in Batavia, and finally in the town of Bethany.
They had 15 children, of whom three died in infancy, Louisa died
aged about 22 years, and 11 survive, namely: Caroline, Mary, Francis,
Ezra, Elizabeth, Sophia, Fred, Frank, Jennie, John, and Ella M.
Mr. ARMBREWSTER died September 26, 1879. Mrs. ARMBREWSTER is living
on road 31, in this town.
Robert BENNINGTON, father of John R., was born in England, and was
a resident of Yorkshire and Lancaster. January 14, 1822, when 21
years old, he came to America and located in New Lisbon, Otsego
County, N.Y. In 1847 he married Eliza KENYON, of Edmeston, Otsego
County. They had 10 children, namely; Charles, Henry G., William,
John R., Edwin, Harriet, Phebe, Alfred, Agnes E., and Mary L. John
R. was born in the town of New Lisbon, Otsego County, September
28, 1852. He was educated in the public schools until he was 20
years of age. He is a farmer and breeder of grade sheep, and at
present is superintendent of the James H. HUME farm, on road 2,
of 411 acres. February 11, 1880, he married Jane E., only daughter
of Thomas RATHONE, of Burlington, Otsego County, and they have one
girl, Ethel H., born February 23, 1882.
John BOYLE was born in Tipperary County, Ireland, in 1846, and came
to America in 1863. In 1867 he married Kate DOWER, of County Waterford,
Ireland. They were married in New York city, and soon after returned
to Ireland, where they remained five years, when they came to this
country and located in this town. They have nine children, viz.:
Patrick W., John R., Lawrence, Mary, Thomas, Kate, Robert, Julia,
and Edwin. They reside on road 16 corner of 15. Mrs. Kate BOYLE
is a thrifty business woman.
Rev.Nathaniel BROWN, grandfather of Wilder and Walter, came from
Strafford, Orange County, Vt., in 1809, and located at West Bethany,
on the place now owned by John S. BALDWIN. He was the first Freewill
Baptist minister west of the Genesee River. He organized the first
church of that denomination there in 1809. He was a pensioner of
the Revolution. Rev. Mr. BROWN, after coming to West Bethany, preached
for the people there the remainder of his life without compensation.
On one occasion he was induced to take one dollar, and before he
arrived home he gave it away to a poor man. Col. Daniel BROWN, his
youngest son, was born at the old home in Orange County, Vt., August
10, 1806, and came in 1810 with his parents to the home his father
had located in 1809. He received a fair education for that early
day, and was a man well versed in all matters concerning the welfare
of his country and county. He was a fluent public speaker, and was
colonel of the 16th N.Y. Cav. He first married Julia LOUNSBURY,
by whom he had three children, Jane, Laura, and Marquis. For his
second wife he married Elanora A. COOK, and they had nine children,
viz.: Wilder, Julia, Emerette, Cassius, Walter, Sarah, Abigail,
Marquis, 2d, and Alice. Wilder, born May 28, 1841, received a common
school education, and is a carpenter and farmer by occupation. November
29, 1865, he married Frances E., youngest daughter of Charles LORISH,
of Linden. They have one son, Cassius Staley, born April 3, 1875.
Col. Daniel BROWN died March 31, 1879. Walter BROWN was born February
13, 1847, and received a good education. He has a good intellect
with perceptive faculties well developed, and is a farmer and general
dealer. December 31, 1872, he married H. JENNE, youngest daughter
of the late Harry G. LINCOLN, of Bethany. They have one son, Leon
H.D., born May 14, 1884. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN are living on road 15,
adjoining the Col. BROWN homestead.
Heman BROWN, Sr., grandfather of Benjamin R., was a soldier in the
Revolutionary war. Heman, Jr., came with his parents from Strafford,
Vt., to this town when he was 13 years old. He was born May 30,
1794. He was in the War of 1812. They located at Brown's Corners,
road 17 corner 19. He married twice, first, Maria HUNTINGTON, formerly
of Litchfield, Conn. They had four children, of whom two sons are
deceased, and two daughters survive, namely: Mary and Harriet. For
his second wife Mr. BROWN married, February 10, 1842, Sophia Ann
CONKLIN, formerly of Steuben County, N.Y. They had four children,
of whom tow daughters are deceased, and the sons survive, viz.:
Lee E. and Benjamin R. Benjamin R. was born November 13, 1848. He
received a good education. September 24, 1874, he married Celia
S., second daughter of Charles and Elizabeth SNELL, of his native
town. They have had six children, four of whom survive, namely:
Charles H., Fernie E., Jesse R., and Bessie M. Mr. and Mrs. BROWN
reside on land which is father bought in 1821, on road 19 corner
27. Mr. BROWN's mother resides with him, being a pensioner of the
War of 1812, aged 80 years.
Calvin BARROWS, father of Sexturs T., was born near Worcester, Mass.,
in 1783, and came to Seneca Falls, N.Y., in 1808. He married Olive
PATTERSON, of Waterloo, Seneca County, and soon after moved to Bushville,
in this town, where he remained two years, and was in charge of
the cloth factory there for Mr. BUSH. In 1809 he came to Linden,
when there were only three houses in the place. He built a dam for
the purpose of utilizing the water power of Little Tonawanda Creek,
and erected a wool-carding and cloth-dressing factory, which was
completed in 1810. They had seven children, namely: John, Volney,
William, Franklin, Sexturs T., Jeanett, and Evander H. Sexturs T.,
born in Linden, December 25, 1819, was educated in the common schools,
and worked in the carding-mill 10 years. December 21, 1842, he married
Rachel, third daughter of John MERRITT, of Middlebury, Wyoming County.
They have four children, viz.: Margaretta J., Olive R., George N.,
and Charles C. Margaretta J. married Hiram O. REDDISH, of Wyoming
village; Olive R. married Buel ROGERS, of Linden, now of Attica;
Charles C. married Aurelia J. RICHARDSON, also of Linden. Mr. BARROWS
has live on the old homestead 70 years.
Amos BLOOD, grandfather of Oscar W., was born March 11, 1763, and
his father was killed in the Revolutionary war. One of Amos's sons,
Nason, was born November 4, 1796, at Haverhill Corners, Grafton
County, N.H. He received a good education, and was a farmer by occupation.
He came with his father to Alexander, this county, when 15 years
old, and February 28, 1822, he married, first, Rhoda EVEREST, of
Bethany. He served in the War of 1812. They had six children, as
follows: Nelson, Niles, Warren, Obed, Luman, and Amos. For his second
wife he married Mrs. Eunice (KNOWLTON) WEST, October 1, 1840. They
had one son, Oscar W., born December 17, 1843, on the farm upon
which he resides and owns. Oscar W. received a common school and
academic education, until he was 21 years of age. May 9, 1867, he
married Mary L., oldest daughter of Robert EASTLAND, of Bethany,
and they have six children, viz.: Eunice E., Jessie L., Charles
R., Walter E., Mary J., and Monroe T. Eunice E. is a student at
the Geneseo Normal School, and is also a school teacher. The family
all reside at home. Mr. BLOOD is a successful fruit grower and breeder
of thoroughbred Merino sheep, and is one of Bethany's enterprising
farmers, residing on road 33.
Mark BASSERT, born in Baden, Germany, April 22, 1829, came with
his mother to America in 1847, and located at Batavia, N.Y. December
3, 1853, he married Catherine MILLER, of Germany. They have three
children, Louis, George, and Ursilla. Louis married Anna M. DENNIS,
of Stafford; George married Lydia WORST, also of Stafford; and Ursilla
married Urbon BOTMER, of Batavia. Mr. BASSERT served his adopted
country in Co. G, 8th N.Y.H.A. Vols., and was discharged at the
close of the war. He was wounded in the right shoulder June 16,
1864 in front of Petersburg, while charging the enemy's works. Mr.
and Mrs. BASSERT reside in the village of East Bethany.
Michael BURNS, father of James, was born in Wicklow, on the east
coast of Ireland, about 1833, and married Elizabeth DUFFY, of the
same place. They had 10 children. He came to America in 1852 to
prepare a home for his family; his wife and three of his children
followed in 1854. James, who was born at the old home June 25, 1843,
came to America about 1856, and located in the town of Bethany.
About November 1, 1872, he married May FROLICKER, of East Bethany,
and they had one son, Frank M., born October 23, 1873. Mrs. BURNS
died October 24, 1887. Mr. BURNS and his son reside on road 14 in
John BURKEL, born in Arlin county, Belgium, October 15, 1850, came
to America in 1870, landing in New York, February 22d. He finally
located in Byron, Geensee County. May 10, 1874, he married Barbara,
oldest daughter of John and Kate COLTAX, of Sheldon, Wyoming County.
They have had three children, namely: John, Jr., born May 20, 1875;
Lizzie, who died aged one year and nine months; and Sylvester, born
September 29, 1882. Mrs. BURKEL's parents are of French extraction.
Her father, John COLTAX, came to America from France in 1846, when
he was 21 years old, and located in Wyoming County, N.Y. He married
Kate COLTAX, of his native country, and they had seven children,
viz: John, Michael, Barbara, Mary, Libbie, Anna, and Margaret. Mr.
and Mrs. BURKEL reside on road 6, in Bethany.
James BAKER, father of Thomas S., was born in Butternut, Otsego
County, N.Y., in September, 1804, and came to Stafford, Genesee
County, in 1824. They had four children, viz: Joseph R., Thomas
S., Sarah P., and James P. Thomas S. was educated in the common
schools. November 10, 1854, he married Hannah R., youngest daughter
of John REED, of Pavilion, and they have one son, John A., born
February 14, 1857. John A. was educated in the common schools, and
March 9, 1880, he married Libbie A. SMITH, of Le Roy. They have
had two sons and one daughter, of whom the latter died in infancy.
Edgar T. and Clarence S. survive. Mr. and Mrs. BAKER reside on road
Ambrose BOOTH, father of Fred A., was born in Steuben County, N.Y.,
January 24, 1834. He was educated in the public schools, and is
a farmer by occupation. April 6, 1857, he married Charity G. HOVEY,
of Cattaraugus County. They have three children, namely: Adna J.,
Frank D., and Fred A. The latter was born in Dale, Wyoming County,
March 14, 1865. He received a good education, and is a farmer. August
9, 1888, he married Sadie L. youngest daughter of Philip MOYER,
of Alexander. They reside near the village of Linden.
Adam CACNER was born in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, about 1776. He
married Mary A. WINTERMAN, and they had seven children, three of
whom were born in Germany. George, born December 25, 1841, came
to Bethany when he was 12 years old, and made his home with Israel
E. JUDD. December 18, 1863, he enlisted in Co. L., 8th N.Y. H.A.
Vols., and was discharged from Zekel's General Hospital, May 27,
1865. He was in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor, and
in front of Petersburg, where he was disabled June 23, 1864, by
a gun-shot wound in the leg. December 25, 1865, he married Sarah
Jane, oldest daughter of Edward SMITH, formerly of Canada. They
have six children, namely: Mary O., Kattie M., Frank J., Emily S.,
Clary A., and Charles W. Mr. and Mrs. CACNER are residing in this
town on road 20.
John COVEY, born in Saratoga County, N.Y., in 1787, of English ancestry,
married Betsey ALTHOUSE, in 1809. Alvah COVEY, his eldest son, was
born at Half Moon, Saratoga County, July 22, 1810, and married,
February 6, 1837, Jane, daughter of John HARDICK. She was born September
3, 1816. Her father was born in Athens, Greene County, in 1783.
Ten children were born to Alvah and Jane (HARDICK) COVEY, five of
whom survive, namely: Alvah S., Charlotte I., Eugene, Emma J., and
Frank H. The latter, born April 9, 1861, in Penfield, Monroe County,
received a common school and commercial education, and was associated
in business with his father, who came to Penfield about 1838 and
was a successful nurseryman there. By energy, perseverance, and
strict integrity he laid the foundation for his afterwards ample
fortune. July 13, 1882, Frank H. COVEY married Minnie J., third
daughter of Henry and Louisa (GROOM) PALMER, of Glenville, N.Y.
She was born in Clifton Park, Saratoga County, December 18, 1860.
They have a daughter, Minnie Ethel, born September 20, 1883. Mr.
COVEY came to Bethany in the spring of 1888.
Elisha CHADWICK, born in Lyme, Conn., June 2, 1788, married Betsey
RUSSELL, of the same place, February 15, 1815. They came to Bethany
about 1823, with an ox-team and cart. They had eight children, namely:
Nancy M., Daniel R., Israel M., Mary E., Harriet, Joseph H., J.
Edward, and David R. J. Edward was born April 1, 1829, in this town.
He received a public school and academic education, and September
9, 1857, married Emeline M. DUTTON, of Pavilion, who was born August
6, 1830. Mr. CHADWICK is doing a general insurance business in the
adjoining towns and counties, and resides on road 24 in the town
Patrick H. CANNON was born in Galway, Ireland,
March 17, 1836. March 4, 1863, he married Mary GALMAN, of
his native place, and April 3, 1864, they landed in New York, and
located at Roxbury, Mass. They have had nine children,
one of whom died in infancy, and eight survive, namely: Mary
A., Patrick H ., Jr., John J., Kattie T., Fannie E., Nellie M.,
Thomas E., and James. Mr. and Mrs. CANNON are living on road
Joseph CRAWFORD was born October 10, 1833, in
Rochester, N.Y., received a practical education, and in early life
was a farmer. He moved with his parents to Attica, Wyoming
County, in 1841. In 1854 they moved to the town of Bethany,
and located on road 17 corner 19. April 10, 1861, he married
Julia, oldest daughter of Col. Daniel and Eleanora BROWN, of Bethany.
She was born February 17, 1840. Mr. CRAWFORD learned the milling
business about 1873, and is now proprietor of the grist-mill and
grocery store at West Bethany. He was appointed post-master,
during President GRANT's second term, in 1876, which office he still
Stewart COPELAND was born in County Down, Ireland,
in December, 1807. He married Agnes FENNON, of his native
place, and came to America in 1833, first locating in Rochester,
and finally came to Bethany, Genesee County. They had nine
children, as follows: Thomas, Robert, John, Elizabeth,
Stewart, Jr., Agnes, James, Marion, and William W., of whom Thomas,
Robert, James, Agnes, and Marion are deceased. Stewart, Jr.,
a bachelor, is a fruit grower and farmer, and his father resides
with him. John COPELAND married Nellie NEFF, of Leicester,
Livingston County, and they had seven children, as follows:
Thomas, Katie, Everett, Fennon, Nancy, James, and John, Jr.
Thomas and Nancy are deceased. He enlisted in 1861 in Co.
E, 9th Inf. N.Y. Vols., and was discharged in August, 1863.
Both John and Stewart, Jr., reside on road 34, in this town.
Calvin CURTIS was born in Berkshire County, Mass.,
July 25, 1778. He was married three times, first to Jemima
THOMPSON, and second to Polly CLAPP, and five children were born
to him. For his third wife he married Mrs. Nancy (HIBBARD)
STORRS, of Wyoming County, by whom he had four children, namely:
Samantha, Martha, Daniel S., and Roger H. Daniel S.,
born September 5, 1829, was educated in the public schools until
he was 16 years old. January 10, 1850, he married Amanda H.,
fifth daughter of Clark ELDRIDGE, of Canandaigua, Ontario County.
They have three children, of whom Calvin died at the age of three
years, and two survive, namely: Frank R., born January 3,
1857, and Lottie B., born July 3, 1858, who married Andrew B. MORRIS,
of Middlebury, Wyoming County. Frank R. married Sarah BOYCE,
of Wyoming village. Mr. and Mrs. CURTIS reside on road
14, in the hamlet of Little Canada.
Dr. Orlando R. CROFF was born three miles west
of Warsaw village, August 10, 1817, at two o'clock in the afternoon.
He received a common school and academic education, studied medicine
with Dr. Jonathan K. BARLOW, of Bethany Center, graduated in 1843,
and has practiced medicine since (46 years). April 14, 1844,
he married Mary E., second daughter of Dea. Elisha CHADWICK, of
Warsaw. They have two children, namely: Ganson W., born
April 1, 1845, and Nella M., born May 28, 1866, who resides at home
with her parents. Ganson W. is a practicing physician. He
studied medicine with his father, attended lectures at Ann Arbor,
Mich., and graduated from the University of Buffalo in 1867.
He married Clara S., fifth daughter of Edmond BRAINARD, of this
town, and they have had 10 children, viz.: Orlando W., James
B., R.D., Belle, Effie M., Betsey, Lois, Ganson W., Jr., Clara M.,
and D. Olive. They all reside in Bethany Center.
Samuel DYE, born in the town of Mayfield, Montgomery
County, N.Y., June 20, 1818, came with his parents to Springwater
when 13 years of age. In 1841 he married Sarah BEVINS, of Springwater.
They had eight children, now living: Samuel H., William R.,
Jennie M., Julia A., Ada M., Eudora H., and George E.
Samuel H. owns a fruit farm on road 20. In the war of the
Rebellion he enlisted, August 30, 1862 in Co. I, 136th Inf. N.Y.
Vols., and was discharged on surgeon's certificate of disability
by loss of use of left leg, from a gun-shot wound received in the
battle of Gettysburg, from the hospital at Philadelphia, Pa.
At the same time he was shot in the right arm near the shoulder,
which was broken, and also through the third finger of the right
hand, the ball passing through the fleshy part of the hand, under
the thumb, into the wrist.
Charles DIXON came from Chatham, Conn., to Bethany,
and located on road 23 in 1814, leaving his family at home while
he built a log house. In the spring of 1815 he returned for
his wife and 12 children. Their conveyance was an ox-team
and cart and a one-horse wagon. Two children were born to
them in their new home, two also died, and 12 survived. One of them,
William R., who was born on the old homestead in Bethany, May 13,
1822, was educated in the public schools, and was a farmer by occupation.
December 24, 1863, he married Sophia, oldest daughter of Nicholas
CHILSON, of Pavilion. They have had five children, three of
whom died in infancy, and two survive, namely: W. Walter,
born September 21, 1866, and Charles A., born December 24, 1871.
Mrs. Sophia DIXON and her two sons reside on the DIXON estate in
Caleb ELLISON was born in Orange County, N.Y.,
in 1803, and after his father's death went to Canada with his mother,
where he remained 40 years. He married Jane WILKINS, of Ancaster,
County Wentworth, Canada, and they had seven children, as follows:
Nelson C., Eleanor, Matilda, Louisa, Jane, John, and William.
Nelson C. was born in Canada, August 2, 1828. He received
a common school education, and August 23, 1859, married Caroline,
second daughter of Aaron TAYLOR, formerly of England. They
have eight children, namely: Roenna, Mary J., Delia V., Florence,
Milton, Robert, Courtney J., and Lilly B. Mr. and Mrs.
ELLISON reside on road 28.
Daniel EDWARDS, who was born in Rutland, Vt.,
March 27, 1807, came to New York State when a young man. He
crossed the Genesee River at Rochester before any bridges were built,
and located in Monroe County. December 22, 1836, he married
Abby M. CONLEE, of Stillwater, and they had two children, Sylvester
C. and Charles D. The latter was born in Sweden, Monroe
County, November 21, 1840. He received a public and Normal
school education, began teaching school when he was 16 years old,
and taught 17 terms. August 11, 1862, he enlisted in Co. A,
140th Inf., N.Y. Vols., and was discharged December 18, 1864, for
physical disability. He acted as company commissionary-sergeant.
January 1, 1865, he married Caroline, third daughter of Lawrence
COOPER, of Clarkson, Monroe County. They have had eight children,
viz: Arthur Alger, who died in 1873, aged 19 months; Sheridan,
born November 25, 1865; Ida M., born June 1, 1868; Belle J., born
May 8, 1870; Henry C., born April 12, 1874; Lille E., born August
21, 1878; Erwin B., born August 13, 1883; and Carrie, born May 24,
1887. Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS reside on road 3 in this town.
The first known of the ELLIOTT family was in
East Crocker, Somersetshire, England. One Andrew ELLIOTT came
to Beverly, Mass., about the year 1668, joined the first church
there in 1670, and died in 1703 or '04. The Rev. Jesse ELLIOTT
was born in Mason, N.H., in 1799, was educated in the theological
college of Hamilton, N.Y., graduated in the class of June, 1826,
and afterwards taught in the Oneida Indian Mission
Station. For 54 years he was a faithful minister of the gospel
in the Baptist denomination. He married twice, first, June
21, 1827, Phebe, daughter of Nathaniel and Betsey YEOMANS, of Greenville,
N.Y., by whom he had five children, of whom one son died in infancy,
and four survive, namely: Emily R., Elizabeth, William, and
Nathaniel. His first wife died October 22, 1840, and
May 16, 1841, he married, second, Mary C., seventh daughter of Hezekiah
WILLIS, of Western, Oneida County, who bore him one daughter, now
Mrs. Jerome H. FILKINS, of Bethany Center, and one son, S. Willis,
born April 17, 1848, in Middlebury, Wyoming County. The latter
received a good common school and academic education until he was
16 years old. He was engaged in mercantile business 11 years,
has taught school several terms, and is a farmer by occupation.
September 28, 1869, he married Angela A., seventh daughter of Edmund
BRAINARD. They have had five children, three of whom are deceased,
and two survive, namely: A. Grace, born September 17, 1874,
and Brainard W., born September 21, 1879. Rev. Jesse ELLIOTT
died March 24, 1880. S. Willis ELLIOTT has been actively engaged
in purchasing and helping to survey land for the new line of railroad
from Geneva to Buffalo during the fall and winter of 1889-90.
David FILKINS was born in Dutchess County, N.Y.,
in 1807, and came with his parents to Pavilion in 1809. About
1834 he married Jemima PECK, who was born in Lyme, Conn.
They had five children, namely: Angeline M., Caroline P.,
Sarah E., Jerome H., and Albert D. Jerome H. was born in this
town November 7, 1839. He was educated in the public schools and
is a farmer by occupation. He married twice, first, April
14,1864, Emily O. STEVENS, who died December 24, 1865, and second,
June 23, 1868, Mary C., third daughter of the late Rev. Jesse ELLIOTT,
formerly of Churchville, Monroe County. They had two children,
viz.: Jessie M., born October 25, 1869, and Angela E., born
August 30, 1877, both of whom are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. FILKINS
reside in the village of Bethany Center.
John FOLK, who was born in Germany, June 17,
1812, married Catherine SHELABARGER, also of Germany, and they had
five children, as follows: Casper, John (who was killed in
the late war), Catherine, Michael, and Mary. Casper FOLK,
eldest son of John, was born in Germany, January 24, 1849, and came
with his parents to America in 1853, locating in Bennington, Wyoming
County, N.Y. November 17, 1868, he married Mary CROUSE, of
Lancaster, Erie County. They have 10 children, namely:
Kate, George, John, Mary, Sarah, Lizzie, Clara, Michael, Frank,
The FRENCH family came from England on the ship
'Mayflower,' and first located in the East. Richard B. FRENCH
was born in the northwest part of the town of Bethany in 1815.
He received a common school and academic education, was a farmer,
school teacher by occupation, and July 4, 1843, he married Esther,
only daughter of Nehemiah TRACY, of Alexander, and they had three
children: Carson F., W. Cary, and Ernie. W. Cary, born November
20, 1847, was educated in the common schools and in pike Seminary,
Wyoming County. Mr. FRENCH has held the office of highway
commissioner of his town. June 25, 1874, he married Zorada,
seventh daughter of Edmund BRAINARD, of Middlebury, Wyoming County.
They have had three children, of whom one son is deceased, and two
survive, namely: Irma E., born June 30, 1875, and C. Tracy,
born December 23, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. FRENCH reside on road
35, on the old BRAINARD place.
Caleb GIFFORD was born in Lyme, Grafton County, N.H., April 10,
1805, and came to Genesee County with his parents when he was two
years old. They located in Warsaw (old Genesee County), and
their mode of conveyance was an ox-team and cart. He married
Julia, second daughter of William RAYMOND, of Warsaw, and they had
four children, viz.: William R., James H., Mary E., and Frances
J. James H. was born in Bethany, June 22, 1835, and
received a common school and academic education. He is a farmer
and fruit grower. February 28, 1872, he married Martha A.,
oldest daughter of Edmund STEBBINS, of his native town. They
have two children, William C., born January 8, 1879, and Mabel,
born September 23, 1881. They reside near East Bethany, on
Seba GRANGER, grandfather of Byron, was a resident of Cherry Valley,
Otsego County. One of his sons, John, married Elizabeth CLEAVELAND,
formerly of Vermont. They had eight children, as follows:
Chester, Seba, Jr., Byron, Elizabeth, Mary, Chloe A., Almira, and
Abigail. They located in Monroe County about 1815. Byron,
born in Penfield, Monroe County, August 28, 1819, was a carpenter
and joiner by trade. February 19, 1852, he married Lucetta
S. DISBORO, of Stafford, and they had five children, only two of
whom, Sanford B. and Charles D., survive. Charles D. married
Barbara HARSCH, of Le Roy. Byron GRANGER served in Co A, 1st
Dist. Columbia Cav. Vols., and now resides on road 6 in Bethany.
James GILLARD, who was born in Devonshire, England, in 1820, married
Ann WARREN, of the same place, and they had children as follows:
Mary A., William, Ellen, Edward, Emma, John, Walter A., and Jessie.
Walter A. GILLARD was born in North Devon, May 1, 1859. He
was educated in the common schools, and in 1879 came to America,
locating in Stafford, this county. October 7, 1884, he married
Mary L., second daughter of Hiram PORTER, of Bethany. Mr.
PORTER was a native of Vermont. He resides in Little Canada
in the town of Bethany.
John GARTNER, born in Wurtemberg, Germany, about 1789, married Catherine
BESSINGER, and they had 10 children, only three of whom are living,
namely: Jacob, Barbara, and George. They came to America
and located in Lancaster, Erie County, where Jacob was born October
3, 1839. He received a common school education, and is a farmer
by occupation. May 8, 1861, he married Elizabeth, second daughter
of Alexander LEWIS, of Clarence, Erie County. Her father was
born in Vermont, of Scotch ancestry. They reside on road 31.
John HARPER was born in Devonshire, England, June 22, 1824.
He married Susan HOLLAND, of his native place, came to America in
1852, and located in the town of Stafford. They have five
children, viz.: Emma, Charles W., Kate, George, and Elizabeth.
Charles W. HARPER was born in Stafford, August 4, 1855, received
a common school education, and is a carpenter and joiner by occupation.
September 18, 1884, he married Ellen R., oldest daughter of Elias
LYON, of Attica, by whom he has two children, Edna A. and Charles
L. Mr. and Mrs. HARPER reside on road 24.
Ephraim HARDING, grandfather of Erastus D., served from Connecticut
as a soldier in the Revolutionary war under General PUTNAM.
Alfred HARDING served in the War of 1812. Erastus D. HARDING
was born in Lyme, Conn., February 14, 1815, and when 10 years of
age came with his parents to Genesee county, where they arrived
October 5, 1824, and located three-quarters of a mile north of Bethany
village. February 22, 1838, he married Mary H., oldest daughter
of William NOTT, formerly of Devonshire, England, but now of Bethany.
They have had 10 children, of whom eight survive, namely:
Eveline B., Mary E., Erastus G., Jennie M., Estella A., Flora C.,
William E., and Herbert H. Erastus G. HARDING is a physician
and surgeon in Wyoming County; William E. is professor in the literary
department of the Institution for the Blind in Batavia; Jennie M.,
resides with her parents; and Herbert H. is married and takes charge
of the farm. Mr. HARDING has been deacon in the Baptist Church
for many years.
David HYDE was born in Essex, Vt., in l792. He learned the
cabinet-makers' trade, went to Boston, Mass., at the age of 21 years,
and worked at his trade, and also carpentering. He left Boston
in 1817 and located on the Little Tonawanda, on road 27 1/2, in
the town of Bethany. About 1826 he married Theirsy ALGER,
of Bethany, and they had two children, Edgar and Edwin J.
The latter was born June 6, 1830, on the old homestead, where he
spent his boyhood, alternately on the farm, in the saw-mill, and
in school. July 5, 1851, he married Jane E., oldest daughter
of Erastus L. NORTON, of Alexander. They have had five children,
of whom three are deceased, and two survive, namely: Charley
E.D. and Lillian E., the latter a graduate of the New England conservatory
of Music, in Boston. Mr. HYDE served as first sergeant
in Co E, 105th Inf. N.Y. Vols., and was discharged for disability.
He is a teacher of vocal music and leader of the Genesee and Wyoming
Musical Association. His grandfather, Ephraim, served in the
Revolutionary war, and his father in the War of 1812.
John JENNE was born in Rutland, Vt., in 1791, and when a boy came
with his parents to Cayuga County, N.Y. He married Sarah
F., oldest daughter of William Freeman, and soon after located one-half
mile south of Bethany Center. They had three children, namely:
Lansing K., William N., and Jerusha F., the latter of whom married
Harry G. LINCOLN. William N. was born on the old homestead,
August 19, 1831, received a common school and academic education,
and is a progressive farmer. January 1, 1855, he married,
first, Sophia N., daughter of Henry W. GARDINER, of Attica, Wyoming
County, and they had one son, Charles G., born October 16, 1857.
He, too, received a good education, and is a farmer and speculator.
April 15, 1886, Mrs. JENNE died, and October 5, 1887, Mr. JENNE
married for his second wife Mrs. Hattie L. (STEWART) NORTON, who
died February 1, 1889. February 15, 1882, Charles G. JENNE
married Nellie, only daughter of Charles W. CONE. She died
November 17, 1885.
Israel E. JUDD was a soldier in the Revolution, and very likely
was killed, as he was never heard of again. His son was born
at the close of the war, and was named Liberty in honor of the victory
achieved by the colonies. He was a soldier in the War of 1812.
He was born August 27, 1775, and was married twice, first to Miss
Hannah THOMPSON, and second to Abigail EVEREST, October 4, 1807.
He had born to him seven children, namely: Hannah, 1st., Israel
E., Abigail, Anna M., Rhoda, Philip, and Hannah W. Israel
E. JUDD was born February 8, 1811, in the town of Bethany, and is
now living on the farm his father located in 1806. He received
a common school education. January 29, 1852, he married Mary,
sixth daughter of Reuben WRIGHT, of Alexander, and they have one
son, Franklin I., born June 20, 1853, who received a common school
and academic education. September 3, 1879, he married Sarah
J., third daughter of A.D. WALDO, of Elba. They have four
children, namely: Everest A., Mark W., Florence M., and Franklin
II. Israel EVEREST, grandfather of Israel E. JUDD on his mother's
side, was captured by the Indians, and suffered untold hardships
during his prison life in Montreal, Canada, and during his escape.
John KEMP was born in New Hampshire, December 20, 1786, and came
to Marcellus, Onondaga County, N.Y., when a young man. He
married Charity BARROWS, of Skaneateles, and in 1832 they came to
Middlebury, Wyoming County (old Genesee). They had eight children,
namely: Harriet, Milo M., Emily, Maria L., George B., Myron
J., William E., and Caroline A. Myron J. KEMP was born
in Marcellus, May 6, 1822, and came with his parents to the Genesee
country when 10 years of age. He received a common school education,
and has been a farmer by occupation. May 17, 1848, he married
Louisa M., second daughter of Jonathan GATES, formerly of New Hampshire.
They have no children. Mr. KEMP is now a gentleman of leisure,
and resides on East Main street, in the village of Linden.
Sylvester LINCOLN, Jr., walked from Castleton, Vt., to Batavia in
1803, and helped to survey lands in what is now the town of Elba.
He returned to Vermont in 1803 or '04 and married Eleanor WALLACE,
of Hubbardton, Vt., and came with his young wife and his father's
family to Bethany. They were the fourth family that located
in the town, and one of his sons, Harry G., was the second child
born in the town. Charles F., late husband of M. Jennie LINCOLN,
and son of Sylvester, was born August 29, 1833, in Middlebury, Wyoming
County. He came with his parents to Bethany when very young,
and received a liberal education. February 26, 1862, he married
M. Jennie, only daughter of Thomas CATHCART, of Corfu. They
had four children, namely: Harry T., who is a farmer with
his mother; John S., a graduate of the Normal School of Geneseo,
N.Y., who is now teaching as principal of a High school in Steuben
County; Florence M., also a teacher, who resides at home with her
mother; and Anna L., who also resides at home. After his marriage
Mr. LINCOLN united with Presbyterian Church at Bethany Center, was
always a consistent Christian, and for many years was an elder until
his disease, May 29, 1886. He left a widow and family and
a large circle of friends to mourn his death.
The first known of the LOUNSBURY family was three brothers who came
from England at an early day. One of them had a son by the
name of Robert, who married Elizabeth PINKNEY, of Dutchess County,
N.Y., and went to Canada, being tempted by liberal offers of land
which he secured by settling there. One of their nine children
was John, who was born in Canada, May 10, 1802, and in 1812 came
with his parents to the United States. His father incurred
the enmity of the Canadians for his unflinching loyalty to the United
States. His 800 acres of land they confiscated, and he barely
got away alive. He purchased 300 acres of land situated mostly
in the town of Alexander. Very little of this land was cleared
at this time. Deer and bears were plentiful. John's
father died before he attained his majority, and the care of the
family early devolved upon him. In 1826 he married Abigail
HAYES, of Bethany, and they had eight children, of whom four survive,
namely: Cordelia, Edwin, Henry, and Emily. Edwin LOUNSBURY
was born March 18, 1828, on the old homestead in Alexander.
He worked on the farm and attended school, and has always been a
farmer. March 22, 1860, he married Nora, daughter of John
WELCH, and they have two children, viz.: Thomas E., a farmer
with his father, and M. Isabel, who married Frank J. PRUE, of Alexander.
Mr. and Mrs. LOUNSBURY reside on a part of the original purchase
in the town of Bethany.
Cordelia LOUNSBURY was born on the east part of the town of Alexander,
November 27, 1826, and received a good education. She has been twice
married, first to Permina A. COGSWELL, of Alexander, April 11, 1843,
and second to Thomas HOYLE, formerly of England, in November, 1860.
Both are deceased. Mrs. Cordelia HOYLE resides on road 29,
near the old homestead.
Shadrack LENT was born in Montgomery County, N.Y., June 2, 1802,
and came to Genesee County with his parents when 10 years old.
He heard distinctly the reports of the guns of the contending armies
at the battle of Buffalo, in the War of 1812. They first located
in Pavilion. He married Prudence A. DIXON, of Bethany, formerly
of Chatham, Conn. They had five children, namely:
Lucy A., Charles H., William B., George V.N., and Charlotte E.
George V.N., born August 10, 1841, was educated in the public schools,
and is a fruit grower and farmer. January 29, 1879, he married
Minnie O. BURTON, of Cambridge, Mass., by whom he had one daughter,
Harriet A., born January 6, 1883. Mrs. LENT died February
14, 1887. Mr. LENT's sister, Charlotte F., is keeping house
for him. He resides on road 21.
Frederick LEITZ was born in Germany, April 21, 1817. He received
a good education, and in 1852 came to America, landed in New York
city, and first located at Lancaster, Erie County, and finally in
Wyoming County. November 8, 1858, he married
Bridget HALEY. In August, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, 136th
Inf. N.Y. Vols., and participated in the battles of Chancellorsville
and Gettysburg. On the third day of the latter battle, at
3 P.M., he was wounded in the left wrist by a minie-ball, was sent
to Jarvis Hospital, Baltimore, and was transferred to West Building
Hospital, being in both 15 months. After leaving the
hospital he served in the Veteran Reserve Corps until his discharge,
October 1, 1864, for disability. He came to Bethany in 1871.
Mr. LEITZ's wrist is much disfigured and entirely useless.
He resides on road 35 in this town.
Alanson D. LORD was born in 1806, in Herkimer
County, N.Y., and about 1814 he came with his brother, Smith LORD,
to Bethany. February 4, 1835, he married Mary M., fifth
daughter of James STOUGHTON, of Bethany, and they have had six children,
of whom three survive, viz.: Laura M. (Mrs. David DENTON);
Ann M. (Mrs. Luin L. MUNGER); and James S., born October 27, 1844,
in Wheatland, Monroe County. In early life he was mechanic,
but is now a fruit tree jobber, apiarist, and farmer. June
19, 1873, he married Laura A., second daughter of Ira WAIT, Jr.
They have had six children, namely: Frank J. and Minnie L.,
deceased; and Mary E., Mark D., Anna L., and Tracy T., who survive.
Mrs. J.S. LORD is a breeder of thoroughbred Wyandotte and Java fowls.
Jared S. LORD was born in Durham, Greene County,
N.Y., May 17, 1798, and died December 15, 1885. When he was
20 years old he came to Western New York, and finally located in
Bethany. He married twice, first, in April, 1821, Polly EVEREST,
by whom he had two children. September 16, 1828, he married,
second, Hannah CURTIS, formerly of Plymouth, Chenango County, and
they had three children, namely: Jared C., Mary J., and Hattie
C., the latter of whom resides in the village of Linden.
James MILLERICK was born in Ireland in 1838,
came to America in 1856, and located in Bethany. March
5, 1866, he married Ann, fourth daughter of Thomas BENSON, of this
town. They had five children, as follows: Fannie A.,
Richard, Mary, John, and Nellie C. Mr. MILLERICK died
in February, 1888. Ann MILLERICK, his widow, resides on road
34 in Bethany.
Isaac V. MULLEN, M.D., was born in Hector, Tompkins County, February
16, 1827, and spent his boyhood days on the farm and in the store.
In 1848, he began to study medicine with Hon. Charles D. ROBINSON,
of Hornellsville, Steuben County, and graduated from the Castleton
(Vt.) Medical College, June 18, 1851. He married Laura D.,
youngest daughter of Royal ALDRICH, of Castleton, and they have
four children. He began the practice of medicine in St. Lawrence
County, N.Y., where he remained until he went into the army as assistant
surgeon of the 13th Inf. N.Y. Vols. When the 14th H.A.
was organized he became its surgeon, and was retained in hospital
service six months after the war closed. He has a good practice
in the towns of Alexander and Bethany.
Salmon MUNGER, grandfather of Luin L., was a soldier in the War
of 1812. He went from Connecticut and served on the frontier
near Buffalo. His son Anson was born in Schoharie County,
N.Y., and in 1844 married Lydia, eighth daughter of Asa THOMPSON.
They had two children. Luin L. MUNGER, born July 28, 1845,
in Bethany, received a liberal education, and February 15, 1862,
he enlisted in Co. E, 105th Inf. N.Y. Vols. He
was engaged in the battles of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, and
Antietam. AT the latter battle, which occurred September 17,
1862, he was wounded in the left leg, with a 12-pound solid shot,
which caused its amputation, which operation was performed in the
Smoke Town Field Hospital, where he remained until he was discharged,
April 2, 1863. July 4, 1865, he married Ann M., second daughter
of Alanson D. LORD, of this town, but formerly of Herkimer County.
Mr. and Mrs. MUNGER reside on road 28.
Benjamin F. NORTON was born in the town of Bethany, October 1, 1816.
His parents came from Vermont. He received a good education,
and in1832 he married Edna FRARY, who died March 8, 1848.
He married for his second wife Elizabeth, second daughter of David
LOCKE, of Batavia, and they have had four children, namely:
Charles, Walter Frank, Fred L., and William. The last two
named are deceased. Walter Frank, born January 3, 1851, received
a common school and academic education, and January 23, 1872, he
married Mattie K., oldest daughter of Erastus WOOD, of Little Canada,
in the town of Bethany. Mr. and Mrs. NORTON have adopted two
children, namely: Cora L. (WOOD) and Arthur. They are
living on road 27, on the old Ira WAITE place.
George PRESCOTT was born in Devonshire, England, in 1819.
He married Mary CLARK, of the same place, and they have two children,
Frank and Thomas. In 1834 they came to America, and first
located in Stafford, Genesee County. Thomas PRESCOTT was born
January 6, 1850, was educated in the public schools, and is a farmer
and fruit grower. March 21, 1881, he married Mary, oldest
daughter of Richard WATSON, of Dunkirk, N.Y. They have three
children, namely: George F., born February 19, 1882;
Ruth W., born June 2, 1883; and Charles F., born December 27, 1888.
They reside on road 7 in this town.
Seth M. PECK, who was born in Lyme, Conn., January 4, 1800, served
as waiter for Major LORD in the War of 1812. September 9,
1824, he married Sarah PIERSON, of his native place, and came to
Bethany and located where his son now resides, on road 24, corner
35. They had six children, namely: Sarah E., Phebe,
Laura, S. Marvin, Almira, and Henry. S. Marvin was born April
14, 1831, received a liberal education, and is a farmer by occupation.
May 17, 1860, he married, and has had born to him two children:
a daughter who died in infancy, and Robert C., born July 12, 1861,
who survives. Robert C. PECK married Mary BOLT, of this town,
January 8, 1889.
Richard PECK, who was born in Lyme, New London County, Conn., February
5, 1786, came to this town in 1806, and located where Benjamin F.
PECK now resides. He returned to Connecticut the following
spring, and returned with his grandmother and mother, with a two-horse
wagon. About 1815 he married Catherine Hope COMSTOCK, of Bethany,
formerly of Haddam, Conn. They had 12 children, 10 of whom
grew to maturity, viz.: Elizabeth M., Maria L., Nathaniel,
Richard, Israel M., Catherine H., Mary A., Benjamin F., Lucy J.,
and Charles A. Benjamin F. PECK was born on the homestead
July 16, 1829, and received a public school and academic education
until he was 18 years of age. February 24, 1853, he married
Phebe R., second daughter of S. Marvin PECK, of Bethany. They
have three children, namely: Florence, born July 17, 1855;
Richard, born October 12, 1857; and Mary A., born July 15, 1869.
Richard PECK was educated in the public schools and an academy,
and is farming for his father, Benjamin F. October 25,
1883, he married Helen C., second daughter of Freeman M. SANFORD,
of Jackson County, Mich., and they have two children, Franklin H.
and Helen S.
The first known of the PUTNAM family was three brothers who came
from Holland to America, and located in Vermont. Peter PUTNAM,
grandfather of Orrin, served in the Revolutionary war and held the
position of major. Peter PUTNAM, Jr., was born October 21,
1785, and came to Bethany in 1805 or '06. February 26, 1809,
he married Prudence JOHNSON, who was born in Connecticut, November
15, 1784. They had seven children, namely: Orrin, Warren,
David, Philotheta, Osgood, Seymour, and Emeline. Orrin PUTNAM,
born February 21, 1810, married, April 4, 1831, Sophia HUNTINGTON,
and they had six children, namely: Edmond, Alfred, Emogene,
Hartson O., Lewis V., and Marion. Lewis V. is in Red Canon,
Wyoming Territory; Edmund resides in Rossville, Ill.; and Emogene
is in Albion, Mich., the wife of Joseph SHEPARD. Hartson O.
PUTNAM was born December 12, 1849, in Batavia. He received
a common school education, and is a farmer and fruit grower.
About 1870 he married Rozelle QUANCE, of Batavia, by whom he had
one son, Herbert D. Mrs. PUTNAM died when they had been
married five years, and February 22, 1882, he married, second, Alice,
third daughter of John C. KINNEY, of Albion, Mich. They
have three children, viz.: Lester O., born June 8, 1883; Persis
A., born May 15, 1886; and Mary L., born February 10, 1888.
They reside on road 1.
Elijah ROGERS was born at Lyme, Conn., in 1785. He married
Maria BECKWETH, of the same place, and they had four children.
They came to Genesee County in 1811, and located in Stafford.
William E., born April 9, 1809, in Lyme, received a pioneer education.
May 13, 1834, he married Mehetabal P. BANNING, of his native place,
and they have no children. Her father, Calvin BANNING, was
also born in Lyme, January 22, 1785. William E. ROGERS and
wife have been married 56 years, and have resided on road 24 for
Bethel STAVELY was born in Yorkshire, England, in 1817, and in early
life married Ann CLAYTON, of the same place. They had four
children, namely: Eliza J., Sarah A., Jonathan, and Henry
C. In November, 1856, they came to the United
States, and located near Geneva, Ontario County. Jonathan
was born in England, March 1, 1843, and when 15 years of age,
at Geneva, he enlisted in Co. E, 1st Vet. Cav. N.Y. Vols.
He was discharged at the close of the war at Rochester, N.Y.
Mr. STAVELY was a brave soldier. He located at East Bethany,
this county, and September 12, 1869, married Anne E., youngest daughter
of Edward FULLERTON, of Buffalo. They have had five children,
of whom Charles W. and Sarah A. survive. Mr. and Mrs.
STAVELY reside in the village of East Bethany.
Andrew SHOWERMAN was born in Alexander about 1846, and when 18 years
old he became a railroad man, first as a brakeman on the N.Y.C.
& H.R. Railroad, and afterwards on N.Y., L.E.& W. Railroad,
where he was conductor for 20 years. He is now baggage and
express agent on the same road. He married twice, first, Lucy
VANDEBOGART, by whom he had four children, of whom two died in infancy,
and two survive, viz.: Frank C. and John. For his second
wife Mr. SHOWERMAN married Agnes CARL. Frank C. was born June
20, 1866, and received a good academic education until he was about
17 years old. He is now station agent, telegraph operator, and express
agent at Linden.
George SOUTH was born in the village of Stratton, Warwickshire,
England, October 10, 1830. At the age of 13 he was apprenticed
for seven years to learn the trade of a carpenter and joiner.
There are now few men who equal him as a carpenter and builder.
He has a good education for the short time he attended school.
Mr. SOUTH married twice, first, Mary WYATT, of London, England,
about 1855. They had two children, Mary and Julia. In
1869, he came to America, and located in Rochester, N.Y.
His wife died in 1872, and for his second wife he married Mrs. Emerett
(BROWN) JUDD, of Bethany. They have one daughter, Clara E.,
born April 16, 1883. Mrs. SOUTH had three children by her
first husband, viz.: Thomas, Oscar D., and Walter E.
Mr. and Mrs. SOUTH reside on the Col. Daniel BROWN homestead, on
James SHEPARD was born in Otsego County, N.Y., November 29, 1804,
came with his father, John, to this town in 1816, and married Amanda
PUTNAM, January 2, 1827. She was born October 2, 1806.
They had 10 children, all of whom grew to maturity, viz.:
Debora C. (deceased), Phebe M., Maria, Franklin P., Daniel, Harlan
J., Ransom A., Ordelia A., David M., and Ellen. Daniel SHEPARD,
born in Batavia, April 10, 1835, received a common and Normal school
education, and is a farmer and speculator. March 2, 1859,
he married Carrie, second daughter of David FILKINS, and they have
had two children, namely: Effie, born February 22, 1862, died
December 13, 1885; and Dwight D., born April 20, 1865. The
latter was educated in the public schools, also in the high schools
of Batavia, and August 26, 1886, he married Rubie E., second daughter
of Augustus WOODWORTH, of this town. They reside on
the farm he purchased on his wedding day, on road 4.
Thomas SQUIRES was born in Barnstable, England, in 1819, and married
Ann WARD, of the same place. They came to America in 1854,
and located in Stafford, this county. They had seven children,
namely: Lizzie, George, Susan, William, Charles, Emma, and
Frank. George SQUIRES was born in England, January 27, 1849,
and came with his parents to America in 1854. November 23,
1870, he married Clara H., oldest daughter of Hiram PORTER, of Bethany,
and they have four children, viz.: Frank H., born April 21,
1874; Albert J. and Alfred B. (twins), born December 20, 1875; and
Flora I., born June 4, 1872. The latter attends a select school
in Alexander. Mr. and Mrs. SQUIRES reside on road 28 in this
Orlando M. SMILEY was born in Oneida County, near Utica, N.Y.,
received a good education, and when a boy moved with his parents
to the town of Elba. He married Eunice KNICKERBOCKER and they
had two children, Frank J. and Mary Eunice. Frank J. SMILEY
was born in Elba, and received a common school and academic education.
He is a farmer and a traveling man. May 14, 1867, he married
Mary I., oldest daughter of Edward T. SQUIRES, of Alexander.
They had three children, of whom two survive, namely: Earl
F., born March 27, 1878, and Ruth M., born August 7, 1884.
The family reside on road 31.
Norman G. THOMAS was born in Williamstown, Mass., of Welsh ancestry,
and June 6, 1809, he came with his parents to Cazenovia, N.Y.
He was a carriagemaker by trade, and in his latter years a farmer.
January 14, 1835, he married Lucy E., oldest daughter of Alexander
PATTERSON, of Livonia. They had two children, of whom the
daughter of died in infancy. Mr. THOMAS died December
17, 1878. George R. THOMAS was born October 24, 1839.
In 1841 he moved with his parents to Genesee County, and in 1866
he engaged in mercantile business. October 21, 1866, he married
Emogene McKAY, of Groveland, Livingston County, and they have seven
children living, viz.: Heman S., Norman G., Irene H., Lesley,
Cecil R., Adelbert, and Grover.
Samuel J. TOLL, born in Schenectady, N.Y., August 24, 1829, was
educated in the common schools, and when 20 years old he went to
Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, and finally located at Lyons,
Iowa, where he followed the occupation of auctioneer. August
10, 1861, he enlisted in the 1st Iowa Cav. Vols.; was discharged
October 10, 1862; and was then mustered into the United States service
as mustering officer with the rank of second lieutenant. January
31, 1863, he received his commission as second lieutenant of Co.
A, 6th Iowa Cav. Vols., and was in command of the company one year
and six months. He was discharged at the close of the war,
and resided in Chicago, Ill., and Nashville, Tenn., each four years.
He then returned to Bethany, where he is now a farmer on road 12
½, near East Bethany village.
Frederick F. WILSON was born in County Kent, England, March 4, 1811,
and came to America in 1830, locating in Phelps, Ontario County,
N.Y. About 1832 he married Harriet PRICE, and they had eight children,
viz.: Charles, Jane, Ellen, Franklin S., Emma, Harlo, Mary, and
George V. The latter was born in East Bloomfield, Ontario County,
November 27, 1854. He received a common school education until he
was 14 years of age, and in his boyhood worked on a farm. AT the
age of 18 he began to learn the blacksmith trade, and is a first-class
mechanic. March 21, 1874, he married Alice J., oldest daughter of
William H. HEDGER, of Attica, Wyoming County. They have one son,
William F., born January 10, 1875. They reside at West Bethany village.
Harry WOOLF was born in Rochester, Kent, England, August 23, 1861.
He received a commercial education, and in 1884 came to America,
and located in New York city as a book-keeper. He finally came to
Linden, Genesee County, where he began his career as a merchant
by peddling goods through the several towns of this and adjoining
counties. January 9, 1888, he married Irma M., youngest daughter
of Capt. William GRANT, of Darien, and they have one son, William
A., born December 13, 1888. Mr. WOOLF located in Bethany Center
as a general merchant February 9, 1889.
Guy WHEELER was born in Lanesborough, Mass., July 30, 1782, and
removed to Vermont. March 12, 1804, he married Clarissa KIMBALL,
in Springfield, Vt. They had 10 children, all deceased but two,
namely: Mary J. and Guy, Jr. The latter was born in Benson, Vt.,
May 2, 1825, and came with his father's family to Middlebury, Wyoming
County, in 1836. He received a liberal education, and May 30, 1870,
he married Mrs. Melinda M. (GOULD) EMERY, who had one son, Clark
H., a telegraph operator, who died in Mexico of yellow fever. They
have four children, namely: Nora G., Maud M., Guy E., and Margie
C. Nora G. is a school teacher. Mrs. WHEELER's maternal grandmother
lived to be 104 years of age.
Constant WEBSTER was born in Rensselaer County, N.Y., in November,
1792. About 1818 or '19 he married, first, Miss Fanny SPRING, of
his native place, and they had four children, namely: James H.,
John M., Almira, and Ebenezer. He married, second, Miss Ann DUSENBURY,
of the same county, by whom he also had four children, viz.: Alfred,
Oren S., Aaron B., and Helen. John M. WEBSTER was born July 4, 1822,
in Rensselaer County. He received a good education, and married,
April 22, 1847, first, Miss Sarah J. SMITH, of Attica. They had
children as follows: Cassius M., Henry P., Eulelia J., Cora A.,
Helmer J., Grant S., and Flora J., of whom Eulelia J., Helmer J.,
and Grant S. are deceased. For his second wife, Mr. WEBSTER married
Mrs. Mary (READ) LINCOLN, of Bethany, second daughter of the late
Henry and Laura READ. Mr. WEBSTER is a retired farmer, and has been
justice of the peace for 16 years.
Erastus WOOD was born in Lyme, Conn., July 26, 1803, and came to
Little Canada, this county, in 1823. March 21, 1837, he married
Jane HALLECK, of Orange County, N.Y., and they had five children,
namely: William J., Henry H., Leonard D., Mattie J., and Phebe A.
William J. WOOD was born in Little Canada, January 29, 1838, and
received a public school education. He is a carriagemaker and blacksmith
by occupation. He married twice, first, September 18, 1867, Mary
A. KNOWLTON, by whom he had four children, namely: Jennie A., Charles
F., Ella A., and Carrie M. His first wife died April 12, 1882, and
for his second wife he married, January 1, 1886, Mrs. Fannie (BROOKS)
BARNES, of Ross, Kalamazoo County, Mich., who bore him two sons,
Cleon K. and Frank R. She had one son, Chester A., by her first
husband. The family resides in Little Canada in the town of Bethany.
Ira WAIT, better known as Judge WAIT, was born March 2, 1793, and
came with his father, William WAIT, to Batavia from Washington County,
N.Y., at a very early date in the history of Genesee County. In
early life he united in marriage with Anna BROWN, who bore him nine
children. He married, second, January 3, 1837, Phebe HOTCHKISS RUMSEY,
daughter of Jimmy RUMSEY. She was born in Hubbardton, Vt., March
15, 1808. They had a daughter and a son, Leonora V. and Addison.
Mr. WAIT settled in Bethany, and was a farmer and surveyor. He was
called upon to survey lands until he was 70 years of age. He received
the appointment of associate judge of Genesee County courts, under
the old State constitution, from Gov. William H. SEWARD, and held
the position several years. He represented Genesee County in the
Assembly of 1842, and was a magistrate of his town. These positions
of honor are conclusive evidence that he was a man of superior abilities.
He was also a man of sterling integrity, and had a mind and will
of his own. He began his political life an "Old Line" Whig, and
joined the Republican party at its organization. Mr. WAIT died of
paralysis, at the home of his son-in-law, Oscar W. LORD, in Batavia,
May 31, 1875, while there for a visit. Mrs. WAIT survived until
June 24, 1884.
Leonora V. WAIT, daughter of Ira and Phebe H. (RUMSEY) WAIT, was
born in Bethany, February 27, 1839, and married Oscar W. LORD, September
28, 1870. Oscar W. LORD was born in Bethany, July 25, 1825, the
son of Jared S. LORD, who emigrated from Connecticut. He graduated
from the State Normal School at Albany and taught a few terms, and
then settled permanently in Batavia as a dealer in hats, caps, and
furs. He died of apoplexy January 25, 1879.
Robert WALKER, born in Yorkshire, England, October 14, 1806, came
to America in 1839. He married Mary ELLIS, of his native place,
and they had eight children, viz.: William M., Robert, Matthew,
Sarah, Hannah, John, Frank, and Ellen. Robert WALKER was killed
in the battle of Cold Harbor. William M. was born in England, and
came with his parents and located in Onondaga County, N.Y. September
27, 1858, he married Mary L. ARCHER, of Bennington, Wyoming County,
and they have had seven children, as follows: Mary L., Hannah F.,
Robert J., William L., Charles E. (deceased), John E., and Raymond
M. William M. WALKER enlisted December 30, 1863, in Co. H, 8th H.A.
N.Y. Vols. He was in the battles of the Wilderness, Cold Harbor,
Hatcher's Run, and the three days' battle before Petersburg, and
was discharged at the close of the war.
Joseph WELLERT was born in Prussia, Germany, March 3, 1824. In 1862
he married Mary BURDGER, of the same place, and in 1862 came to
America and located first in Batavia, afterwards in Stafford, and
finally in Bethany. They had five children, namely: Charles, who
married Minnie LEE, of Aurora, Ill.; Minnie, who married Christian
ETTER, of Le Roy, Lewis, who resides with his parents; Henry, who
also resides in Aurora, Ill.; and Eliza, who resides in Le Roy.
John WEBER was born in Germany and died when his son George P. was
five years of age. George P. WEBER was born October 9, 1827, came
to America in 1852, and first located in Cincinnati, O., where he
remained two years, when he came to Western, N.Y. He married twice,
first, Catherine SPRING, in Canada, formerly of Switzerland, and
second, February 15, 1882, Wilimina HART, who was also born in Germany.
Mr. WEBER served in the late war, enlisting, first, in September,
1861, in co. A, 9th Cav. N.Y. Vols., and second in Co. K, 2d Mounted
Rifles N.Y. Vols. He was wounded by a minie-ball in his left arm,
near the shoulder, at the battle of Cold Harbor, and was discharged
as duty sergeant at the close of the war.