1909, W. Scott Johnson of Groveland, Livingston County, NY bought
a farm on the West Main Road in LeRoy. In making the move to LeRoy,
it fell to Scott's son Frank to take a drove of cattle from the
old farm to the new one. Frank did that with just the help of their
herding dog, Rover.
the two of them, Frank and Rover negotiated the dirt roads to LeRoy.
When they got to the east side of town, Frank found that the only
route was straight down Main Street. Frank got up on the sidewalk
and let Rover guide the cattle, while he walked alongside.
next day Frank had a toothache, so he went to a dentist in town.
The dentist asked Frank if he had seen the drove of cattle being
herded down Main Street by ONLY a dog the day before.
one had noticed Frank, so the cattle with the mysterious dog were
thetalk of the town.