was formed from Covington (Wyoming Co.) May 19, 1841. Portions were
annexed from LeRoy and Stafford, March 22, 1842. It is the south-east
corner town of the County. The surface is hilly in the south and
undulating in the north. Oatka Creek flows north through the town,
a little west of the center. The soil is a fertile gravelly loam,
underlaid by clay. Fruits are extensively cultivated.
(p. v.) situated on Oatka Creek, near the south border of the town,
contains five churches, viz., Methodist, Baptist, Presbyterian,
Universalist and Roman Catholic; a hotel several stores and mechanic
shops and about 200 inhabitants.
Center (p. v.) on Oatka Creek, near the center of the town, contains
a Union Church, a hotel, several shops of various kinds and about
Corners is a hamlet containing a Methodist Church.
are in the town a grist mill, a saw mill, two heading mills, a rake
factory and a broom factory.
first settlement was made in 1809, by Peter CROSSMAN, James McWITHEY,
Solomon TERRILL, Reuben BURNHAM, Joshua SHUMWAY and Rowland PERRY,
settled in 1810. Mr. Perry is now living and has resided in the
same place since
his first arrival. Sylvanus YOUNG, Elijah PHELPS, Amasa ALLEN, Leman
BRADLEY, Cyril SHUMWAY, Page RUSSELL, Samuel BISHOP, Loomis WALKER
and Isaac WALKER came in 1811. Leman Bradley served in the war of
HILL, who afterwards became his wife, was one of the first school
teachers. His father, J. F. M. BRADLEY, died December 11, 1868,
at the age of one hundred years. Mr. Bishop is still living; he
was in the war of 1812. Loomis Walker was also in the war and now
receives a pension. Chester HANNUM came in 1816 and has always resided
where he first located. Elijah CHENEY came in 1814, was in the war
of 1812, taken prisoner and sent to Halifax, where he was kept until
peace was declared. He was discharged at
Boston without money and was compelled to beg on his way home. Among
the other early settlers were Elisha ROGERS, Lovell COBB, James
TOMPKINS and several brothers by the name of BURGESS.
first death was that of a child of Reuben BURNHAM, in 1812. The
first school was taught in 1813 by Laura TERRILL, from Vermont.
Seth SMITH kept the first inn, in 1815, and Horace BATES the first
store, in 1817, at the village of Pavilion. The first mill was erected
by Bial LATHROP, on Oatka Creek, in 1816. The first church (Universalist)
was erected at Pavilion village in 1832.
population in 1865 was 1,611, and the area is 22,728 acres.
are ten school districts, employing the same number of teachers.
The number of the school population is 446; the number attending
school, 372; the average attendance, 218, and the amount expended
for school purposes during the year ending September 30, 1868, was
by Kristy Lawrie Gravlin