was formed from Batavia, June 8, 1812. A part of Alabama was taken
off in 1826 and Darien in 1832. It is the central town on the west
border of the County. The surface is level or gently undulating. Tonawanda
Creek flows through the north-east part, and Murder Creek through
the south and south-west parts. The soil is a sandy and gravelly loam,
intermixed with clay. The Tonawanda Indian Reservation occupies a
portion of the north part of the town.
Pembroke (p. v., situated on the line of Batavia, on Tonawanda Creek,
contains three churches, viz., Baptist, Presbyterian and Roman Catholic;
Rural Seminary, a hotel, three stores, a grist mill, a saw mill,
a wool carding mill, a stave manufactory, a cheese factory and about
80 dwellings. It is a station on the Canandaigua and Niagara Falls
branch of the N.Y.C.R.R.
(p. v.), on Murder Creek, in the west part of the town, contains
a church, several stores, mills and mechanic shops, and about 35
(p. v.) in the south part, on the N.Y.C. R.R., contains two churches,
several stores, shops, &c., and between 200 and 300 inhabitants.
Pembroke, (p. v.) on Tonawanda Creek, contains saw and grist mills
and about 20 dwellings.
Falls is a post office in the north part, on Tonawanda Creek.
Hill is a hamlet.
first settlement was made by David GOSS, from Mass., in 1804. In
1808 John LONG, Dr. David LONG, from Washington Co., and Samuel
CARR settled in the town, and Joseph LESTER, from Connecticut, in
first birth was that of a child of Jonathan HASTINGS, Jr., in 1810;
the first marriage was that of Ansell HASTINGS and Polly LONG, in
1812. The first school was taught by Anna HORTON, at Corfu, in 1811.
Samuel CARR kept the first inn, at West Pembroke, in 1809; John
BALL the first store, at the same place, in 1812. The first grist
and saw mills were erected by
Samuel CARR, in 1808/9. The first Church (Cong.) was organized by
Rev. Joshua SPENCER, the first preacher, in 1810, at Long's Corners.
Rev. Mr. HOTCHKIN says: "Rev. Hugh WALLIS removed his family
into the town in the latter part of the year 1816, or the early
part of the next year, and continued to reside there for many years.
The author believes that he organized the Church either before or
shortly after the removal of his family into the place."
population of the town in 1865 was 2,825, and its area 26,183 acres.
by Kristy Lawrie Gravlin