was formed from Pembroke, February 10, 1832, and lies in the southwest
corner of the county. Thr surface is hilly in the south and rolling
in the north. Murder Creek flows through the town from south to
north, in the eastern part. Crooked and Eleven Mile creeks are the
other principal streams. The soil in the north is a sandy and gravelly
loam, and in the south a clayey loam underlaid by limestone. The
Buffalo, New York & Erie Railroad extends through the town from
east to west, a little south of the center. The N.Y.C.& H.R.
Railroad extends through the northwest corner. The Delaware, Lackawanna
& Western Railroad runs through the center of the town from
east to west, and the Geneva & Buffalo road will soon have its
line built in the northern part of the town. There are four post
CENTER (formerly called King's Corners) is a post village situated
three-quarters of a mile north of the Erie Railroad, which affords
easy transit from the place, good facilities for transporting produce
to market, and enabling the farmers to send milk daily to Buffalo.
There are at this place four stores of various kinds, an hotel,
a school-house, a Methodist Episcopal Chrch, the usual complement
of mechanics, and in all about 50 dwellings.
village, or Darien City, as it is sometimes called, the name given
it by some eccentric individual when there were only a few houses
built, is situated towards the southeast part of the town, on Murder
Creek (so-called from the supposition that a murder had been committed
near it at an early day), and near Griswold station (named from
B. Griswold) on the Erie Railroad. The village contains a Methodist
Episcopal Church, post office, school-house, blacksmith shop, saw
and feed-mills, a wagon shop, and about 30 dwellings. Before the
advent of the railroads it was a place of more active local trade
and manufacturing than at present.
(p.o.), so named in honor of the Sawens family in the near neighborhood,
is situated on Murder Creek, in the northeast part of the town.
This little hamlet contains a general store where the post office
is kept, a saw mill and cider-mill, blacksmith shop, and about 10
(p.o.), on the Delaware & Lackawanna Railroad, in the northwest
part of the town, contains a general store, cheese factory, blacksmith
shop, and about 10 dwellings.
first town meeting was held at Stephen King's inn (this being the
first tavern reported in the town), April 3, 1832, and the following
officers chosen: Hugh Long, supervisor; Thomas Riddle, town clerk;
Jonathan Durkee, James Sutherland, Adna Tenney, justices of the
peace; William Thayer, William Williams, Thomas Miller, assessors;
Chilson Mullet, Price Mattison, overseers of the poor; Lyman H.
Seaver, Lewis Clark, William Kidder, commissioners of highways;
Daniel Carter, Constantine Gilman, Newton Haws, commissioners of
schools; Daniel Kendrick, collector. When the division of the county
was made, in 1840, the citizens of Darien were not disposed to submit
to the new measure without resistance. The following resolution
was unanimously adopted at a meeting of the citizens held in 1840:
we, the legal voters of the town of Darien, do most earnestly remonstrate
against any division of the county of Genesee, and that our representative
in the Assembly be, and is hereby, requested to use his utmost endeavors
to prevent any division of the said county."
- The earliest account we have of any religious services in Darien
is by a Baptist minister, Elder William Throop, in 1820, who held
services until about 1840. The First Congregational Society is on
record as organizing May 9, 1823, at Darien Center, with 12 members,
with Hugh Wallace as minister. In 1825 there were 18 members; in
1834, 13, with Rev. T. Baldwin, minister; in 1840, 76, with Rev.
L.A. Skinner, minister; and in 1846, 40. They built a wooden building
about 1839, which is still standing. The church edifice was sold
about 1880 for a small sum, and there has been no preaching since
is upon record a society of the first Methodist Episcopal Church
organized March 18, 1833, but we can find no other information concerning
it. The present church was organized in 1848, by J.W. Vaughan. Its
first pastor was Rev. K.D. Nettleton, and there were 35 members.
There are two churches: one in Darien, built of wood in 1848, and
one in Darien Center, built in 1874, having a combined membership
of 84 members, under the pastoral charge of Rev. H.A. Slingerland.
The valuation of the properties is $7,500.
was formed from Pembroke, February 10, 1832. It is the south-west
corner town of the County. The surface is hilly in the south and rolling
in the north. Murder Creek flows through the town from south to north,
in the eastern part. Crooked and Eleven Mile Creeks are the other
principal streams. The soil in the north is a sandy and gravelly loam,
and in the south a clayey loam underlaid by limestone. The Buffalo,
New York and Erie R.R. extends through the town from east to west,
a little south of the center. The N.Y.C.R.R. extends through the north-west
Darien Center, (p. v.) formerly called King's Corners, is situated
a little south of the center of the town, near the B.N.Y. & Erie
R.R., and contains a church, several mechanic shops and about 25 dwellings.
Darien City, (Darien p. o.) in the east part, on Murder Creek, contains
a church, a hotel, a mill, several mechanic shops and about 40 dwellings.
The first settlement was made near Darien City by Orange CARTER, from
Vermont, in 1803. Isaac CHADDOCK, from Vermont, settled near Darien
City in 1804.
The first birth was that of Harriet CARTER, in 1805. Stephen PARKER
kept the first inn, in 1808, at Darien City, and Stephen KING,, the
first store, at Darien Center, in 1815. The first saw mill was erected
by Amos HUMPHREY, in 1809, on Eleven Mile Creek.
The population of the town in 1865 was 2,168, and its area 30,405
The town contains fourteen school districts, employing the same number
of teachers. The number of children of school age is 788; the number
attending school, 666; the average attendance, 323, and the amount
expended for school purposes during the year ending September 30,
1868, was $3,222.73.